Staying on schedule


Day 2 and I’m still on schedule. The viewport is back to functionality! There’s still a few bugs to work out, but it’s definitely in a usable state. And the navigation is working as well. Tomorrow I’m going to get a walking dude imported and playing in the viewport. That’ll bring me one step closer! Exciting! :)

Got to try out Buddha today! My conclusion: very cool! It uses a really interesting method in which it evaluates the program and then allows you to view each step of the process afterwards to see where it went wrong. Debugging functional languages is tough, but I think they have a good solution to the problem. Probably the coolest part for me is that it can actually generate a derivation tree that you can view with GraphViz (dot)! It would get confusing really fast with a large derivation, but nonetheless it can prove to be very useful. I’ll be continuing to play with it, so once I’ve used it a bit more I’ll probably be forced to talk more about it. :) Thanks Eric for pointing me to it!

Don’t know how this happened, but I managed to miss the Quake 4 source code release, which was on my birthday!! Downloaded it today and might check it out tomorrow. There isn’t much point, though, as there isn’t too much different between the Doom 3 and Quake 4 engines. Nonetheless, I make it a habit to keep up to date on engines and see how certain problems are overcome. I’ve learned a lot from using and exploring various open source and commercial engines. Anyways, go grab it at:

Also, happened upon a really interesting application today called Context Free. The software allows you to specify non-deterministic rules that generate images. As the website says, it’s “an environment for editing and rendering CFDG design grammars.” Anyways, give it a try…I thought it was pretty fun. :)

Alright, that’s it for today. Good night one and all!